If you are, or suspect you may be, a victim of fraud or identity theft, place a Fraud Alert on your credit report to alert potential creditors or lenders. When alerted, they can take steps to protect you. Once you place a Fraud Alert, you can choose to remove it at any time online.
There are three types of alerts you can place on your file – choose the one that’s appropriate for you
nitial Fraud Alert for 90 days
You are concerned about becoming a victim of fraud/ID theft.
– Requires appropriate proof of identity.
– Place with one CRC1; it will then notify the other two CRCs to place an alert.
– Entitles you to one free credit report at all three CRCs.
1CRC = Credit reporting
Extended Fraud Alert
You are a victim of fraud/ID theft.
– Requires a copy of the identity theft report.
– Place with one CRC; it will then notify the other two CRCs to place an alert.
– Entitles you to two free credit reports at all three CRCs in the first 12 months.
It is always a good option to freeze credit