The rule has changed this year to convert to OCI if you have PIO card.
OCI is mandatory and every one to convert it as after few month india will not accept PIO even though it says life long valid.
Last date to apply is june.30th.2016
The Indian embassy has outsourced the OCI processing to a company called COX and KINGS global svc located at 5881 glenridge dr atlanta (https://www.in.ckgs.us/
and that is the reason it is required to fill up the details in indian gov site as well as giving a paper copy to CKGS
Here are the steps to apply if you have not done so
1. take a digital photo of your kid
2. ask your kid to sign on a paper and take a picture of it
3. if kid can’t sign take a thumb impression and take a picture
you need to upload these pic and sign in the gov site – requires size limitation – so be ready to trim the digital images
and keep on trying till the photos get upload
4. get a passport photo (costco,cvs or home)
once you are ready with photo
and fill up the details and upload the pic and sign image
6. once u r done it gives an option to generate PDF form that u need to print it and it will have a web reference no that will be used to pay in the ckgs website.
7. take a color print of the filled up pdf.
8. take a color copy of PIO card and US passport and notorize
9. your driving license copy and notorize
10 if ur driving license does not have current address then u need have a utility bill
11. take a print out of the some more forms from ckgs (https://www.in.ckgs.us/oci/
CKGS Disclaimer Form
Parental Authorization Form and fill and sign (both parent should sign if kid is under 18).
two should be enough but take print out of all the forms and keep in handy incase u need them
12. pay for the shipping label that you can use to send all the papers to ckgs and once it is ready they will send OCI back
apx $15 to send label and $15 receiving label
but it is advisable to go to ckgs center and submit the papers in person (does not take that long and very well organized)
in that case u just need to pay for receiving.
13. then u need to pay around $20 per application includes (ckgs fee and india embassy fee) https://www.in.ckgs.us/
14. The processing takes around 2 months and they will notify via email
ckgs will take the original PIO card and once you get the email you have to submit the US passport and in around 10 days they will send back the OCI and US passport back
15. if need travel within these time and temporary visa you can get it from them (around $100)
16. as per ckgs person OCI is mandatory and every one to convert it as after few month india will not accept PIO even though it says life long valid.